Saturday, June 7, 2008
This is an aerial view of Hoyt Street - the School is outlined. This is from the S.O.N.A.R. (Saginaw Online Network of Accessible Records) from the City of Saginaw GIS department.
Click on the S.O.N.A.R. link to find any address in the City of Saginaw.
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Steno Notebook class minutes 1954-55 - (6th grade)
The meeting was started at 2:05 p.m. on Dec. 7, 1954, with a Hail Mary by Sister Eileen Marie. Suggestions were made to improve the classroom they were made by Steve S., James K., JoAnn C., Mike E., Mike D., Galord D., Suzzette C., J. Morrison, Kenneth B., Lynn-Ann W., Tom M., Karyl P. and Sister Eileen Marie.
A move was made to have dues but then someone suggested that the people who talk must pay two cents. Half of it would be for the room and the other half for the pagan babies. Sister said she would think about it.
We are to have a Christmas Party in which there will be two plays. The characters were told and the actors chosen. The meeting ended at 2:24 with a Hail Mary by Sister Eileen Marie.
Steno Book minutes of Missal Club - 1957-58 (9th grade)
The last meeting of the Missal Club was held on October 11, at 9:07 a.m. Mary Ann Snyder presiding. The meeting was opened with a prayer. The first order of business was the treasurer's report. She stated that she had no time to compile the accounts, as she had been collecting dues before the meeting.
Next the Confetior, Gospel and Epistle were read and explained by the following: Gloria Butt, Pat O'Donnel, Karyl Pierce, Jim Shea, Bob Herm, Suzette Cutliff, Terry Connelly, Mary Shinners and Susan Block.
The meeting was about to be closed when the treasurer said that she had compiled the dues. In the treasury there is $1.46. And there were no expenditures and that only two classmates had not paid their dues. The meeting was closed with a prayer at 9:28. Jim Shea
At the age of 31, Fr. Francis van der Bom, was sent to St. Mary's East Saginaw on September 30, 1866 to be the first resident pastor. For 23 years, this zealous priest labored in the East Saginaw parish. His achievements were many: making an addition to the school, building the Rectory, aiding in the establishment of St. Mary's Hospital and St. Vincent's Orphans Home and founding Calvary Cemetery.
In recognition of his "outstanding contributions to the welfare of the citizens of Saginaw without distinction as to race, color or creed," Father van der Bom was elected to the Saginaw Hall of Fame on May 30, 1966. One of a select number of 14 outstanding Saginawians to win the honor, Father van der Bom became the first clergyman so designated.
Young boys enrolled in St. Mary's Academy posing for their picture in 1901.
Bottom Row: Leslie Jones, Allen Loehr, John Green, Donald McDonald, John Shea, John Runchey, Frank Sullivan, William Whatley, Alfred N. Slaggert, James McKittrick.
Middle Row: Hanford Topham, William Jones, Arthur McDonald, Henry Shannon, Earl Laking, Leo Parker, Ernest McDonald, Arthur Schwannecke, Neil O'Brien, Albert Baumgarten, Joseph Brennan.
Top Row: James O'Donnel, Ross McPeak, Ross McDougall, Leo Hendrick, Joseph Hendrick, Percy Topham, Adolph Spring, Hugh Mathewson, Joseph Ryan, Frank Whallan, Francis McDonald, Joseph Sullivan.
Additional Research information on ages of these boys found on the Saginaw Library Online Obituary Index. It was very helpful.