Saturday, March 8, 2008
The School was 100 Years Old in 1968
Resolution from the State of Michigan
House Resolution No. 281
Offered by Representative O'Neill.
A Resolution for the Centennial of Saint Mary Cathedral High School of Saginaw.
WHEREAS, Saint Mary Cathedral High School, the oldest parochial school in the newest Michigan diocese, the Diocese of Saginaw, celebrates its Centennial, dating from the opening of two classrooms with enrollment of 150 students, on September 2, 1868; and
WHEREAS First served by three Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Monroe, Michigan subsequent parish reorganization brought the Saint Mary Academy, then a high school for girls and a grade school for boys and girls, under tutelage of the Dominican Sisters of Grand Rapids, whose sixty-one years' dedicated service achieved co-educational status with their 1907 advent and accreditation by The University of Michigan in 1912 and the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1926. The name, Saint Mary High School, became Saint Mary Cathedral High School in 1938 concurrent to the Saginaw diocesan establishment; and
WHEREAS, From a graduating class of two young women in 1879--the only class who was required to qualify in public examination by a mayor, attorney, accountant and another citizen--to the total of 2,209 graduates given to Michigan society through 1967, all trained in moral values, social conduct spiritually-oriented, and the love of country and fellow men founded in Christian principles and recognized throughout the world of men; and
WHEREAS, Recognized for many decades by employers for their superior discipline and attitude, the graduates of parochial schools are inculcated through constancy of purpose and method for focus upon principles of reasoning and judgment, democracy, family virtues, as well as vocational and continuing educational proficiency. The Saint Mary Cathedral High School's newest facility supportive of all these aims is their new library, constructed in 1967 at a cost of $76,000. Athletic, forensics, public service work and achievements and arts and letters are encouraged in excellent programs subordinate to academic progress of each student, and these offer opportunity for the development of well-rounded citizens vital to the republic; now therefore be it
RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, That by these presents tribute is accorded the Saint Mary Cathedral High School to commemorate its first hundred years of service, dedicated to inculcate and foster the qualities of future citizens which have the bulwark of the State of Michigan and America, implementing through service to God the only avenue He inspires and sanctions--service to fellows in brotherhood.
Adopted by the House of Representatives February 27, 1968.
Signed by Thomas Thatcher, Clerk of the House of Representatives.