Sunday, June 8, 2008
Hoyt Street in 1878
Above is Hoyt Street in 1878 - At left is the second Church (1863); center is the Rectory (1874); and right is St. Mary's Academy (1878).
In 1878 the Catholics of the parish were burdened with the debt of St. Mary's Hospital which Fr. van der Bom founded in 1874 so they could not afford to build a new school. The original church building which had housed the school was too old to continue using it. So at the expense of the Sisters of Providence of St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana a new school was built.